Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Elusive Phenomenon of Dreams

When the Downes were visiting last week, we discussed some of the weird qualities of dreams. Recurring dreams, dreams in single colors, dreaming about objects (and then waking up to realize you weren't actually holding your phone, for example), etc. etc. etc.
My mom has an interest in dream interpretation, on a side note, but I'm not going into that.
What about the setting in your dreams? Where does it all take place? Sometimes, the next morning I couldn't tell you where I was in my dream...probably because it was irrelevant. Sometimes, I can't recall any physical landmarks to connect my dream to a particular place, but I could easily tell you, "I was in Alabama", or "I was at church", or "I was at home". You know what I'm saying? I hope so. My dreams aren't anything crazy unusual, so I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at. 
Well. A few nights ago I had a dream. I don't remember exactly what the dream was about, but it had something to do with my dog...Kodiak was endangered somehow, I think. I did remember the events and details when i first woke up, but I didn't write anything down, so...oops. I do recall the setting, because it caught my attention. Throughout the dream, I was at home. Easy. I remember being in my room and just...being at home. Yet, when I woke up, I realized I had been in the Bangor house. I was a little confused to wake up and find myself in Berwyn. Weird, right?
So, that got me thinking about all this. Home is where the heart is. I know that is a pretty non-scientific statement to include in this post about the nature of dreams, but...just consider that cliche. Do dreams come from the brain or the heart? Are they spiritual or can they be physically explained? I have no answer to that. Scientists don't even understand the "elusive phenomenon of dreams"...or the purpose of sleep, FYI, but that is a rabbit trail to be explored another time. My question is: If I've been living in Berwyn for six months, then why didn't that register in my dreams? Everything I say from here on out is purely speculation. (Heck, everything I've said is purely speculation). If my dreams are a function of the brain, then you would think that my home would be Berwyn. If my dreams are more...I don't know, emotionally driven...then maybe that would explain this fact: My unconscious still associates home with Bangor. My heart is still in Maine. Not because I hate Illinois, but...because I love and miss Maine with all of my heart. That is the way it is. Give me time, but for now my home is still on Grant St...even if not my address. I've been in denial, trying to become a Chicagoan and embrace this new place, but it would seem that my heart knows what's up. 
Dreams don't lie.
Maybe I miss Maine even more than I know.

2 comments:

  1. My heart can relate. The same thing happens to me about Louisiana. Sending love from Maine to all of you. I so enjoy your blog. Keep with it - you are so talented and have such a unique voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We send love right back to all of yall, and thank you so much!

      Delete