Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and Birdo.

We've been looking forward to the Downes' visit since we moved to Chicago. Before we lonely little Nelson kids had met all our new friends, we couldn't wait for the June reunion with Colby, Marcus and Jaida. Now that they've come and gone (arrived last Wednesday, and left this morning) in a whirlwind of activity (which should explain my week's absence from Scintillate), I want to hop on a plane back to Maine. It sucks to see our fellow Mainers go back home without us. We miss them already. 
The Downes and the Nelsons have been good friends for like ten years, I think. Charlie, Mama D, my mom, and my dad are real close. Us kids haven't always had the close friendships we do now…I, at least, used to wonder why the majority of kids in our “home fellowship crowd” were guys. Now, however, Colby and Marcus are like my brothers...and Jaida is practically my little sister.
These past five days have been…wicked. Amazing. Phenomenal. A whole heap of laughter (mostly directed towards a certain 14-year-old and her texting), lots of Justice League Unlimited (roll of the eyes), way too much overtime/extra innings between hockey and baseball (we did get to sing "take me out to the ball game" twice), an introduction to Arrow, incriminating photos, almost enough Mario Kart (lol), and plenty of other good things to remember. Even divvying up the deep dish pizza at Lou Malnati’s was hilarious. Plus, a bunch of the animals at the Brookfield Zoo now have new names! Booyah!
Mario Kart is a sort of…glue…between Marcus, Colby, Jojo and I. The Nelsons are very competitive, and The Downes managed to make second place by the end of the visit. Marcus knows how to rep the Downes. For the last Mario Kart tourney played in person for a while, we chose four related characters. Jojo was Mario. Marcus was Luigi. I was Yoshi, and Colby was (oddly enough) Birdo…Yoshi’s sister. Hmm. Well, Jojo came in first overall and Marcus placed second. No wonder Luigi has that inferiority complex. In case you don’t know, Mario and Luigi are brothers. Duh.
It just occurred to me that Yoshi is basically Mario and Luigi’s camel. Good grief.
Why do I go into the details of Mario Kart, rather than the Cubs game or downtown Chicago?
1. I have lots of pictures to narrate in other posts…all about the cubs game and downtown chicago.
2. Mario Kart may seem like a stupid way to draw friends together, but it works. We duke it out online when the four of us can make the time and, on special occasions, in person. I just love coming up behind Colby with a golden mushroom and shoving him out of the way. The victories over Jojo are few and far between, but sweeter than anything…and there is nothing more satisfying than tossing a bomb straight towards Marcus.
So, are you prepared for a ton of pictures? I hope so.
I wish you many mushrooms,
Yoshi
...a.k.a. Spitball

No comments:

Post a Comment