Tuesday, June 18, 2013

14 Innings at Wrigley

Last Thursday, we spent five hours at Wrigley Field! Huzzah! My mom, Mama D, Alyssa and Jaida went shopping. The rest of us took the blue line down to Jackson. From there, the red line was packed. The Addison stop is very conveniently placed next to Wrigley, though, so it was worth it. Peter and Michael met us (a tad late) at the ballpark.

The tickets we scored on stub hub took us all the way up to the top. We were, very likely, level with the top floor of the Sears Tower. Okay, not really. But it was definitely high enough to kill any heat in my bones. It was freezing up there. I almost died. Thankfully, we moved around a lot. Seriously. We didn’t all have seats together, so we kept moving around as other people claimed our seats. But we didn’t just move around within our section way up in the alps. Oh, no. After two innings up there, I took off with Peter for the blessedly sunny patio behind home plate, under the pretense of buying food. You may not be able to see the game out there, but it was positively lovely. When i went back for the guys, I found them huddled at the tippy top of the stadium. Jojo doesn’t get cold. I do. But he was cold then. I graciously led them to the sun. One thing led to another and we managed to snag some vacant (more expensive) seats in the lower concourse. Still in the shade, but the windchill went down. Baseball is, in my opinion, the most dependent on the weather. Out of all the sports. On a bad day, the seven innings of a baseball game will stretch on and on and on. On a good day, there is no better place to be. With that said, Peter and I went on another quest for seats in the sun…right after singing along with a rather pitchy performance of “Take Me Out to the Ball Game". When we found them, omg. It was so nice. Everyone else was too stubborn to join us right away. Jojo and I are always texting back and forth (he thrives on our conversations) and he obviously thought we were going to get kicked out of our seats. No way. Those beautifully sun-kissed seats were destiny. Genet was the first to cave; she joined Peter and I pretty soon. As the game moved into overtime (sort of deja vu after the Blackhawks vs. Bruins game Wednesday night) the rest of the group came on over. Ha! Dude. Little did we know this Cubs vs. Reds game would drag on fourteen innings. We got to sing “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” twice! I didn’t know, before Thursday, that they sing it again in the fourteenth. In the end, the cubbies won. I can’t say I had predicted a victory, but it was fabulous. Also, Michael was acting very weird. It added to the entertainment considerably.
Be aware, you may have seen these pictures on Facebook already.

Look at those seats! Sweeeet.
Some person made my panorama a little more artistic. Hmph.
Yes, I am in love with this patio. Sun and the smell of ballpark food.
Pretzels are a necessity at any sports event. Peter was good enough to treat us paupers to one.
My older brother, overflowing with generosity.
This warrants a photo shoot.
Peter, and the Cubbies’ own caricature of our mother.
Our second set of seats had the best view.
Sweeeeeet, right?
The bros and I.
The view from the third set of seats.
Hahaha see them up in the shadows? Suckers!
Obnoxious birds. They should be shot.
Fun in the sun.
Dad and Charlie. They came to their senses and joined us in the sun!
Totally would have eaten this cotton candy I found….if i liked cotton candy.
As the game went on and on, we found out that the longest baseball game ever was 26 innings. 8 hours. Good grief.
Michael being a pale recluse.
LOL. Weirdo.
Bahahahahaha this picture. Omg. I just…omg.
Good Lord.
That section was packed, earlier in the game. 13th inning? Not so much.
The guy who kept clapping awkwardly after the cheer fell off abruptly.
My lovely sister…and the butt of many jokes.
Oh my gosh. End this madness. 
Ridiculous.


Her hair gets in the way, easily.
Colby, Jojo and Marcus.
Waiting for the game to end.
Finally! The cubs win in the 14th inning!
They hacked my phone later that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment