Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Fortune Cookies and Prophecy

I'm always complaining to God about how I never have anything supernatural happen to me and why, why, WHY can't He just do something undeniably cool for me.
No more whining here.
Every Sunday, after church, I've been going to a class called Firestarters. This class is all about igniting a fire of hope and joy in others. At first I only went because they serve lunch...haha...and because my friend Lonyee goes. But I totally love it now! A few sundays ago (it took me a few weeks to decide to share this), they served Chinese food. It was delish. I took a fortune cookie, because I always do. Obviously I don't put any stock in those, but I read the fortune to Lonyee and plopped the rest on my disposable plate...I don't even eat the cookie (I'm a wasteful wretch, and I'm sorry). Every week a couple people are highlighted to stand up and receive encouragement/prophecy from everyone else. This particular week, I was one of those people. I stood up awkwardly, and tried to stay as small as I could in my nearly 5'10" body surrounded by seated people. I like to be encouraged as much as the next person, but I don't always like to be in the spotlight. I'm not going to tell you everything said, but it was fabulous. I will say that about five different people mentioned my height, exhorting me to stand tall. That common thread was cool. The last prophecy given to me was from one of the leaders, and she said "you are an obstacle jumper". She jumped over an imaginary wall in the middle of the room to demonstrate. I was like....OMG. Are you legit right now. My fortune cookie said, "you will overcome obstacles".
You might pass that off as a coincidence. Whatever. You weren't there. You aren't me. You didn't, in that moment, feel Jesus giving you a hug. Well, I did.
Oh!
By the way, the Chinese word on my fortune cookie was the word for "tall".
Hahaha thanks, God.


No comments:

Post a Comment