Saturday, June 8, 2013

Memorial Day...The Extended Celebration.

I know, I know. Memorial Day was nearly two weeks ago. Why did I wait until now to write about it? Because I was sick for like a week and didn't feel like writing much of anything. Why didn't I ditch writing about it? Because I had an amazing Memorial Day!
To begin the narration, Sunday was ridiculously fun. Bob and Nancy met us for church, to kick off the celebration. Peter came out to Berwyn for dinner, and he and I left with mom's admonition to drink nothing stronger than sprite. Michael and Sarah Bauer met us at the Chicago Brauhaus in Lincoln Square. The Brauhaus is a German restaurant and bar, where elderly, awesome, German musicians perform. It's crazy. Have you ever had beef tar tar? My brothers have been raving about it since last spring in Poland. It is raw cow meat served with a raw egg, capers, onions and anchovies. Disgusted? You should be. I was none too pleased when Peter ordered tar tar with our delicious, giant pretzel. However, I agreed to taste it. I did not agree to Peter feeding me tar tar out of his hand, but I did taste it. After chewing it for an entire minute, I came to the conclusion that the texture of tar tar is nasty...but the taste is not bad. No, I would not eat it again. Anyways, after the Brauhaus we continued to party hard at Peter, Sarah and Cassie's apartment.
So you see why I am still motivated to write about this an entire week after the fact.
When Memorial Day dawned we headed back out to Berwyn, accompanied by a crazy man for a leg of the trip. Monday was pretty chill...your average cookout complete with picture telephone and the name game.
Tuesday=field trip day! I had never heard of The Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, but I'll never forget it. Their main attraction was an exhibit called Destroy the Picture: Painting the Void. It's all art from the years following The World Wars. Theodor Adorno said, "to write poetry after Auschwitz is barbaric". The artists of that time were obviously less interested in poetry than expressing the devastation around them...you can see for yourself...

My brother, Peter, who is convinced German blood flows through his veins. Made apparent by his barbaric outburst moments after the waitress left our table.
Peter.
Sarah and Peter.
Helpless. Sarah is clearing his dishes.
Speculating about the odd strangers on the dance floor.
Pretzel, tons of butter, and beef tar tar. 
To take the bus, or not to take the bus.
Memorial Day morning....Peter the lone wolf.
One of them has issues, and it ain't the fluffy white one.
brother-sister bonding.
Mom and Nancy
Genet describing "Kris"
Confusion.
The name game!
Everyone loves field trips.
The front of the museum. Way cool.  I like that Portuguese water dog, too.
This painting was ridiculously awesome. The Japanese artist killed a boar and painted it with his feet.
Uhhhhh...open for interpretation.
I like this. Those are books.
Did they look at a single piece of art? I think not.
A collection of ripped, defaced posters.
The gremlins.
Hmph.
Art by Lazarus Somebody. Positively awe-inspiring.
Somebody has connections. 
Grossness. Those donuts are part of the exhibit.
This was completely staged. To the last piece of ABC gum.
This guy liked to pretend he was an employee in an obsolete position.
This is a different bench, I'll give them that much credit.
Too lazy to even speak, obviously.
:)
Good grief.

If you happen to be connected to the curators at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, you have my permission to submit any and all of my photographic work. I am challenging Lazarus Somebody's place in the museum.
Thank you for viewing,
Sarah S. Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment