Thursday, April 18, 2013

Unfinished...

I was reading some of my old blog posts, when i found an unfinished piece about unfinished projects...ironic, i know.
"Today I was looking at my writing archives when I decided to flip through some of the stories I wrote when I was little. Well, some of the stories I started, anyway. I have begun writing so many books, you have no idea. And I only ever finished two of those projects. One was a blessedly short, illustrated childrens book about a kiwi (as in the frumpy, flightless bird, not the fruit) that I had to complete for school. The other was "Adventures with the Petersons". I wrote it when I was in second grade. Ouch. I say I love to write but the only book I ever finished was a rambling narration of the Petersons' lives that i penned as a seven year old? It's tough to own up to, but, yes. It's true. I think it's because I was so little that I didn't really care about what other people thought of my writing, so it was a whole lot easier to just...write!"
This was mostly just a frustrated spout of nonsense about incompletion, but I meant every word. Especially the ones in the last sentence. And yet once again i succumbed to that fear...will everyone hate it? So I didn't bother to finish it. Who wants to read an unfinished post about unfinished projects, anyway? It truly is difficult to "just...write" when you're focused on what people think. Maybe i shouldn't show my writing to anyone. Why should i open myself up to criticism or, far worse, insincere compliments? That excerpt up there is just one example of my writing that i've hidden under the bushel. The huge bushel to which so many blog posts have, in a fit of insecurity, been banished and labeled "just a journal entry meant for my eyes only". That's where my writing and I are safe. But Scintillate was created because I know i need to show my writing to people, even if it's terrible. Not because they need to read it, but because I need to share it. Not caring what people think, always writing because I like it. So if you think my writing sucks, then fine. Just tell me. But I'm not going to stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment