Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A Prominent Purpose

I'm one of those people who has to have everything planned out. I need to know what's going on, and when it will be happening. Maybe I'm a control freak. Maybe I need to take up yoga. Maybe, if this progresses, I will have to carry around a paper bag to prevent hyperventilation when life charges me with a blitz. But let's hope not.
I am talking about college. I don't know what my future holds, and it kills me! So many schools. So many cities in which to attend school. Heck, so many countries in which to attend school. So many areas of study. I've gotten so many emails and brochures from colleges and universities around the country. If you haven't started getting the recruiting emails, my fellow high schoolers, just wait. Feel the love for a few days, and then think of how full your email trash bin is going to be, come graduation.
All the possibilities are overwhelming! What will it feel like next year, as a senior, when I'm actually pressed for time to make the decision? I've thought about going back to Maine. I've thought about commuting to a school nearby. I've thought about heading south. I've thought about skipping out on college altogether. I've thought about studying art for a year or two in Paris, then spending some time at Oxford looking studious while acquiring a cool accent, then hitting the hollywood scene just long enough to rise to fame and disappear without a trace and then, to wrap it all up, graduating from Notre Dame with a bachelors in scrapbooking. I've ruled out pretty much all of those options.
Lately Jesus has been hearing a lot from me...wondering WHY he can't just show me plainly what he wants me to do. That's what billboards and prophecy are for, right? I believe in Jeremiah 29:11. God has a plan for me. I don't know what that plan is, which obviously bugs me. But I've decided that's okay. God hasn't told me exactly what I'm supposed to do while I'm here on this earth, but he has told me why I'm here. God isn't going to get mad at me because I went to the wrong college. But i don't have any excuse for living whatever life i lead without purpose.
So, I've been taking this time to find out exactly what my purpose is. I believe that he wants me to help others enjoy their lives, while enjoying my own. Not just this short life, though, I'm talking eternity here.
I want to have some remarkable experiences, a million moments of hilarity, and so much fun. Who doesn't, right? But I really want to see other people smile. Don't you feel genuine pleasure when you make people smile? What better way to make someone happy than to reiterate how much Jesus loves them? Hope makes people happy. So, basically, I want to scintillate. Whatever i do, the reason behind my actions should alway be the same. It isn't always, but i want it to be.
So go. Go make someone happy. Every day. That someone doesn't have to be a stranger on the street, and the tool doesn't have to be a gospel tract. That someone can be your best friend and the tool can be a compliment. Telling people the good news for the first time is fantastic, but don't forget about your friends. They already know Jesus loves them, so help prove it to them.
Back to college. I'll make that choice (probably at the last possible moment) with every intent of making sure others love life and loving my own in the process. Even If I go without an audible direction from God, I'll know that he's leading me to follow my dreams and accomplish said purpose, considering both originate from His heart just as much as they do mine.
I thought I should mention...this week, my first choice is very much in line with tradition...If I had to choose right now, I would totally live at North Park University for four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment