Friday, February 15, 2013

Having Fun Isn't Hard....

I may not know my social security number, but I can tell you my first library card number! Ah, the memories. I checked out so many Magic Tree House, Boxcar Children, and Junie B. Jones books on that card...here come the waves of nostalgia. Little kid books, little kid music, little kid tv shows...It's funny, library cards and PBS Kids tv shows are forever intertwined in my brain. I'd watch Arthur; Arthur would tell me to go to my local library! I'd go to my local library; there were my stories about Arthur! A beautiful, never-ending circle of aardvarks and books.
And it wasn't just Arthur. Of course, I had my Reading Rainbow, Between the Lions (Cliff Hanger always had me on the edge of my seat), Cyberchase, Clifford, Mr. Rogers, etc. Those were my tv shows. Theirs were the theme songs Jojo and I would dance to (Cyberchase's tune in particular has a special place in our hearts). None of this Wild Krats and Electric Company bogus. I'm aware that my shows aren't exactly the oldies, but they're dear to me. I'll always think of Arthur (the old, grainy, animation, NOT the new) when I go to check out a book...because having fun isn't hard when you've got a library card!
Anyways, the point to this post (before all the ranting about kid television) was to tell you...We got our library cards from the Berwyn Public Library, yesterday! We now have access to the libraries in Oak Park and Chicago, too. That's a good thing, since the Library in Berwyn is kind of depressing. I guess I'm spoiled, after growing up with the Bangor Public Library at our disposal (shout out to Stephen King: thanks for your generosity. It made my childhood fabulous). The book collection here is pretty pathetic, comparatively. But I got some sweet plastic! My library card goes in my wallet, now, instead of on my key ring. And there's a cute picture with lots of visually stimulating colors on the front. Yay upgrades! How thoughtful. Berwyn does indeed have it's perks! Ok, I'll stop. No more bashing Berwyn. I really do like it here! And I'm actually immensely happy to have my library card, because I might just go check out and re-read the entire Junie B. Jones series!

No comments:

Post a Comment