Friday, May 11, 2012

An Educational Outing

Hahahahaha
Trips to museums are kind of hit or miss for me, I regret to say. Sometimes I'm really excited to learn about science or ancient history or art or whatever. But sometimes I'm really just not. At all. Like yesterday.
The realtor banished us so that she could host an open house, It was raining, and I had work to do on a Spanish project due the next day. The idea of looking at old knives used by Indians and Eskimos really just wasn't turning me on. I was quite honestly in a lazy American mood. Sitting back with a bowl of peanut butter popcorn and watching TV just sounded a heck of a lot more appealing. That's the sorry truth. However, we didnt have any popcorn and besides that our house was taken hostage, so off to the Hudson Museum we went. Blech. Stop right there. I probably sound like an ingrate, and you're absolutely right. Although in my defense the museum was free AND I drove us there...with my mom in the front seat of course...I have my permit. :] Anyway, I had a bad attitude about the whole "educational outing" thing. My mood turned a 180 (well...maybe not a 180. More like a 160. Yup, 160) when I discovered a few things. First, the museum is small, just one floor full of stuff. Second, there were no signs indicating you couldn't take photos of that stuff. And third...that stuff turned out to be pretty cool. There were these funky mini statue things and cute little animal figurines made like forever ago. I found out that the Micmac Indians (from Canada I think?) were known as the porcupine people because they made beautiful designs with porcupine quills. I saw JUST HOW SMALL the shoes were (3 inches long!) for people who had their feet bound. There was a really big canoe. Lots of baskets handmade by Native Americans (we actually have some cute little baskets like that on the mantle above our fireplace). I almost experienced a heart attack when I saw a mask that looked like a little devil. And what really sent my mood-ometer soaring was the photo gallery. In case you haven't noticed, anything photography-related does wonders for me and my attitude ;) love it! The photos were all by a couple of guys names Kris Larson and David Stess. Or maybe they weren't both guys. Kris could be a girls name. Well, a couple of humans by the names of Kris Larson and David Stess. And the shots were all out in the barrens. I've seen the blueberry barrens several times, and these pictures were really nice. Migrant workers were the subjects in a lot of them, and they were all just great pictures. Fabulous. And all in black and white, if I remember correctly. Anyway, they were lovely. And last but certainly not least... drum-roll please...there was a really tall totem pole. It was downstairs in the lobby. Everyone loves a good totem pole, right? And guess what! That fab realtor gave us the danishes leftover from the open house. :)








The Tablet of Ahkmenrah!!!!



She's ready to move in!


My favorite exhibit ;) absotively posilutely exquisite!



Freaky mask. I can just imagine Michael hiding around the corner, waiting for me, with this on his head. Gross.



The totem pole.


What a jerk. Sticking out his tongue just cuz he's on top.



This painting was in the lobby, too, titled "Winter Landscape"...do you see a winter landscape here? No? Well, Jojo and I were a little skeptical, too.

Heading back outside...yeah the museum was actually pretty great.

1 comment:

  1. The mask...I have no words that could do it justice!

    Victoria

    ReplyDelete